Home | Home Improvement Tips | Make a Small Room Look Bigger
A small room can feel confined and uncomfortable. But there are certain tricks and interior design tips that you can follow, to make your room seem much larger than it actually is.
- Light and bright walls are more reflective, making a space feel open and airy which helps maximize the effect created by natural light. For optimal results, select soft tones of off-white, blue, and green. Brighter areas always look bigger and inviting. Painting the moulding a lighter color than your walls also makes the walls seem farther back.
- Allowing natural light inside a room opens up the space. If you do not have a lot of natural light, you can add some light fixtures for the same effect. If you have large windows, it is best to keep them uncovered by heavy curtains. Using sheer covers or having curtains pulled back completely makes a world of a difference. If you are worried about the view, put plants or flowers near windows and use lamps to brighten up the space.
- Keeping your room clutter-free and organized is a must. Too much stuff makes a small area seem cramped. Walls shouldn’t be covered with lots of pictures. One large picture is better then 5 tiny ones. Small pictures all beg for attention, which makes the room seem busy. Use a focal piece. One area of the room should be the focal piece that your eye catches first. This could be a bed, the dining room table, a couch, the possibilities are endless.
- Using carefully placed mirrors can also make a room seem bigger. Angling mirrors towards a focal point creates depth. Mirrors also reflect light in the room which makes it brighter.
- Maximize space by using furniture with hidden storage. Keep clutter out of sight and out of mind by having hidden drawers in beds or shelving underneath lifted couches.
Thank you to Mihai from Freshome for the original information.
To learn more about Van Dyke Home Improvements’ services, business practices and references, click on About Us. You can read customer reviews on our Testmonials page. Be sure to look at our Carpentry Photos and Remodeling Photos that feature many “before and after” photos of our recent projects.
For more information, or to request a quote or discuss a project you are considering, please call 631-859-0405, or email [email protected].